Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Too much birthday

Grace was invited to a birthday pool party for one of her preschool friends this past weekend. Pool parties are great - they don't have to last very long, the kids get exhausted, and then you leave.

The party started with cake and presents in a separate room at the hotel, which seemed smart to me because then you don't have a roomful of freezing, soggy kids eating cake. Then we headed for the pool. The kids swam and jumped off the side, Grace was having a ball, and I was thinking how excellent it was that I didn't have to get in the water with her now that she's getting a little older and braver. And then the birthday girl swallowed a mouthful of pool water.

I heard something like, "Daddy, I swallowed sommm.....," and then out came a gush of purple puke.

That's right. She puked. Right there poolside. (And I don't know why it was purple because the cake was chocolate with red frosting.)

Her Dad and I calmly cleaned it up (her Mom was in the pool with the kids), and I was thinking to myself that it was probably only a matter of hours before I had purple puke appearing at my house. But then Emma jumped cheerfully back into the water, with no sign of additional gastrointestinal distress.

What a relief.

No comments: