Friday, October 3, 2008

The Gratitude Experiment

Earlier this week a coworker of my sister's suffered the worst possible loss I can imagine. He and his wife lost their 6 month old son to shaken baby syndrome at the hands of the babysitter.

As a parent you can't even allow your brain to begin to comprehend the loss of a child. You can't imagine anything worse. Yet, for this couple, it did get worse. They'd been on my mind a lot as events had unfolded prior to the baby's death, and time and time again I've thought how lucky I am to have happy, healthy children. To just have them here. With me. When my sister called to tell me that the baby had died and how, I cried. Then I went straight to my computer and sent an email to my daughters' baby sitter to thank her for the loving care she gave them for nearly 6 years.

Miss Penny moved to Oregon earlier this year. Her move was the right thing for her, but it was the loss of a family member for us. Finding childcare is hard enough. Finding childcare from a person who genuinely falls in love with your children, makes tater tot casserole for their birthday party, takes it upon herself to keep your baby's eczema from itching her like crazy, gives you endless advice that makes you feel like you actually know what you're doing, and still finds the time to sell Body Shop is nothing short of a miracle.

So I wrote Miss Penny a thank-you note, something I probably should have done long ago. A couple of hours later she called me and we mourned together the loss of that couple's baby. We got caught up on our childrens' lives, our jobs. We reconnected and, at least for me, it gave me something to smile about.

All of this got me to thinking about gratitude. What it really is and what it can do for us. Oprah is a big proponent of keeping a gratitude journal, a little notebook where we write down the things we are grateful and appreciative of. I've tried this and, frankly, felt a little silly. But I like the idea. I believe positive thinking is a powerful force and right now we could all use a little bit more of it. So I've decided to conduct what I'm calling The Gratitude Experiment.

Here's how it works:

1. Each day I am going to say thank you - sincerely! - to three people.

This could be the woman at Froehlich's who knows just how much butter I like on my bagel and takes time to put it on right after it comes out of the toaster, so it melts perfectly and I don't have to do it myself. It could be my husband, who stopped to get milk on the way home so that I didn't have to drag two kids into the grocery store and back out. The point is to thank someone for something that may be a small act of kindness (or a really large one), but makes a big difference for you. To look them in the eye and say, "Thank you so much. I really appreciate that."

2. Twice a month I am going to write to someone who has done something thank-worthy. They didn't necessarily have to do it for me, but that list is pretty long so I think I'll start there. Miss Penny was a big one. But there are many other people who have helped me in ways big and small. I know from experience that getting a thank- you note makes you feel good. But writing it also makes you feel good.

Here's what I want to find out:
1. What happens to your own psyche when you take time to say thank you?
2. What happens to your relationships?
3. How do people respond when they are thanked and why?
4. How can this attitude of gratitude be spread around my family, my town, the world?

And I want you to help me find these things out. I want you to join me in The Gratitude Experiment. It doesn't take a lot of time or money. Just a little effort that I suspect will reap very big rewards both intangibly and tangibly. You can send an e-mail, write a letter, make a phone call - whatever works for you.

I also want you to share what happens. Tell me (and everyone else) what people said back to you and how it made you feel to say thank you. Join me in a mission to populate the world with positive thinking. Resist feeling dorky and just do it. You'll be glad you did.

And thank you so much for reading. It makes me feel good to know that you're out there.

9 comments:

Ktmac said...

Heather,
I love this idea, mostly because it is something I TRY to do often. Of course, I say try because we all know how life goes. And, I did the little gratitude journal when I was seriously depressed (several miscarriages and the loss of my grandma, etc.) It was amazing the way my entries changed. There were days when I was simply grateful for one thing . . .breathing, but by the time I was more solid emotionally, I was had lists and lists on a daily basis. It was awesome for me so I began to try to share my gratitude for others with them. It was/is amazing.
I would be happy to share my experiences here . . . starting with you.
Thank you for being my friend, for the fabulous times we had on the beach growing up, for your shared experiences, for making me laugh and laugh and laugh. Remember the night of the Peach Schapps & Vivrian . . . Lordy, we were so stupid, but memory lives on and keeps me smiling! You are a great friend! And though our plans for a reunion failed (the Doc won't let me go very far . . . things have been dicey now and again), I can't wait to see you and give you a hug and let our children run free on the beach and be stupid too (hopefully, not as stupid as we were.)
I am grateful for you and for reuniting with you. I love ya, sister!
Kt

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea! I, too, actually have a gratitude journal! Sounds like many women have one in secret. Oh, the power of Oprah...

I will most definitely join your experiement and report back. And, like the woman before me- I would also like to start with you.

There have been countless times in the last year and a half that I've told Jonathan, "I really miss Heather." And after I read this blog post, I told him that again. I was so bummed about not getting to come to your 4th of July party. I planned on it being one of my only times to catch up with you since I'd left. When we didn't get to come- I was kinda secretly mad (and sad) for about a week.

You were a very special person in my life when I was going through a tough time. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do in the world, why the heck I was back in South Bend, and for what reason my path had led there. To this day, I am ridiculously thankful for finding Upside and for finding you! You always made me want to live up to how gracefully you did you job, loved your family, adored your kids, and also insisted on having a little life of your own away from home. And you did it all in style---you're so dang cute all the time! It was always somewhat strange to me that I considered one of my bosses to be one of my best friends. But I loved it! I DO miss you quite often- especially the Monday morning debrief about the weekend. There are things that come up all the time that I know..I just KNOW you and Chris would die laughing at.

Thanks for pushing me to say some things that I've meant to for so long. I hope that everything is going well in your life and also hope to catch up soon.

Love you!
Hannah

Anonymous said...

I saw Chris Gardener speak last week - from the based-on-real-story "Pursuit of Happyness." I'd already been inspired by this keynote last week - and then I read your blog yesterday. I made one small effort - and one large effort. So, I called my Mom after work yesterday to thank her for something that I'd not really articulated before, but was a rather big one. When I was little - my Mom walked a mile to and from work everyday (at night, coming home from a 3-11 shift) because we didn't have a car - and my Dad lost his job. I think she made like $3.25 an hour as a nurses' aid - but she did it for over a year - and it was the difference between food, no food, and no house. A few years ago she told me that she only went shopping every 2 weeks, and spent $40 each trip. I remember standing in government food lines sometimes, or donations from the church. But I always remember in the back of my mind, I wasn't scared because I knew my Mom had a singular goal of getting through that year, and protecting her family (no matter how out-of-work, or depressed, or shiftless my father was that year). Because of her, I have never, ever made the equivalent of $3.25 an hour. I drive a beautiful car. I live in an amazing house. It's always warm. I don't worry about the lights going off. And I work my tail off, and appreciate every single thing that comes from it.

Anyway, I thanked my Mom, and all she said was... "You take care of your baby. First. Whatever it takes. I would have done almost anything for that $40."

And I thanked my Aunt for helping me fix my computer over the phone - that was riddled with viruses. She was a stay-at-home Mom, and both my cousins are gone. She loves helping and taking care. I think she misses it - when I need to do work around the house, she offers to COME and help me (she lives in KANSAS). She'd drive 12 hours to help you paint the pantry. I'm serious. :-) I think she just appreciated that I appreciated her helpfulness. She loves to be the Mom. I'm lucky. I have lots of Moms. More than just the two of them. :-)

Okay, that's my story. I'm tearing up....

Anonymous said...

That wasn't supposed to be a Phantom Post. - Kathryn Hedgepeth

Two Job Mama said...

Hi Kathryn! It's funny, I had a feeling that was you. My parents used to collect pop bottles to have enough money to buy milk when I was little. But I never knew - all I knew was that my parents loved me and we had fun. If only it could always be that easy!

Ktmac said...

So, after spending four days in the hospital and being SO grateful that I have a beautiful little boy to show for it.

I found that I could NOT hold in my gratitude for all of those that helped (doesn't seem like a strong enough word) me over these days. I thanked everyone from the nurse that helped me to the bathroom to the food service person who brought me a fresh diet pepsi after he spilled the first one to the blood tec that had to wake me every night at 3 to take my blood. . . I thanked, not because "my mom told me too," but because I was/am so damn thankful.

But this isn't about me . . . not at all, even though it probably sounds like it. This is about the noticing. My mom was up in the hospital everyday (not a surprise), but one of the nurses stopped her and told her that they liked Matt and I so much because we shared our gratitude and love with them. They were surprised at and grateful for sincerity and kindness with which we spoke to them.

First, how can you not be loving & thankful to the people who strive to do everything (I wasn't allowed to shower and I didn't have enough strength to shower; one of the sweet nurses gave me a sponge bath . . . it is one thing to do that for your child, but something else for a stranger) for you, your hubby and your new son while you are in the hospital.

But second, they noticed and were SO appreciative. Thank you goes so far and is said so rarely. Why is it so hard to do the simple thing and really mean it?

So that was my most recent rambling revelation (if we can call it a revelation with my very tired and slow brain) about gratitude. Just thought I would share.

Anonymous said...

Did you see there is now a movie coming out called The Gratitude Experiment? www.Gratitude-Experiment.com It is from the same people who did the Secret. Maybe you should contact them with your story?

Anonymous said...

very useful post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Nice Post!Kind Regards