Friday, June 26, 2009

Phew!

When you grow up with a doctor for a dad you pick up a lot of weird medical knowledge that is not terribly useful and grossly incomplete. You'd probably think that would turn you into a hypochondriac, but in my case it's turned me into someone who feels fairly sure I can make a diagnosis with only limited information.

So yesterday I took a long walk during lunch. It was lovely to get the fresh air and the part where I stuck my feet in the lake was divine. But it was freakin' hot on the way back and I could feel a "glow" taking over my already-expanding body. And then I started to think I smelled like fruit.

That doesn't seem too bad, right? You sweat and it smells like fruit. Could be way worse.

Except in my annals of useless and incomplete information is this: if you find yourself smelling like fruit for no apparent reason you are probably an undiagnosed diabetic.

I spent all afternoon alternately sniffing my armpits and wondering if it was just gestational diabetes (which I've never had before) or something more permanent and infinitely more of a pain in the ass.

At bedtime I opened the drawer to get my toothpaste out and noticed that my new deodorant is scented Tropical Fruit.

So I guess it works.

1 comment: