Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BFFs really are.

Whenever I go on a trip I always have this little moment on the first night where I think I want to go home.

It doesn't matter if the trip is guaranteed to be fun, or if it's a place I've always wanted to visit or even if my entire family is with me. It's just that I have a little part of my brain that fears the unknown and, even if only for a moment, longs for the security and comfort of home and its routines. And I had this moment the first night in Las Vegas with my two BFFs.

We haven't been together in, literally, 20 years. During that time our lives have followed their own separate paths, spreading us out across the country and away from one another. The magic of the internet has brought us back together and we've been planning this trip to Las Vegas for at least six months. I have been giddy with excitement and antsy for the big weekend to get here, but yet I lay in my ultra-comfortable hotel room bed last Thursday night and there it was, that flash of thought flittering across my consciousness. I want to go home.

But the magic of BFFs is that they really are. My little fluttering thought lasted for barely a nanosecond, and then I was left marveling at how easily it all comes back. The late night chatting before falling asleep. The easy way of deciding what we want to do, where we want to go, what snacks we need to have. The absolute lack of judgment about our bodies, our wardrobes, our hair styles, our taste in food and our tolerance for movies based on juvenile, scatalogical humor. It was as if no time has passed, but instead has bonded us even deeper as we share the experiences of being wives and mothers, daughters to aging and ever more eccentric parents, and just plain friends having a great time together even if we're doing exactly nothing.

Same time next year, right ladies?

1 comment:

Ktmac said...

Same time next year . . . same place!
I am so glad to be back together!