Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Travelin' mama.

I'm traveling on business this week. We left on Sunday for two days in Tampa (which, by the way, is COLD!), then I'm going to Indy for a meeting on Wednesday. I feel like I've been gone forever. I know my house will be a mess when I get home, because I'm pretty sure moms have a specialized ability to not only feed and dress their children, but to do it while also putting away dishes and toys. Since I've been gone I've had two incredibly good dinners and totally enjoyed getting ready in the morning by myself. With the TV on. And the curtains open to let in the morning sun.

I've met Jessica Biel's dad (yes, that Jessica Biel) and took a hospital tour guided by a Shriner wearing a sequin-encrusted fez.

I've gotten turned around in traffic and drove back and forth across a 5-mile bridge, only to get to dinner at the time I was supposed to be there anyway (without having a chance to get back to my hotel in between, which was my original goal).

I've slept in the Westin's Heavenly Bed and taken a shower in their Heavenly Shower, which features TWO shower heads working simultaneously.

And the whole time I've missed my kids so much I can hardly stand it. I miss kissing them at bedtime. Reading Dora's Princess Adventure to Lauren for the 987th time. Lying in bed with Grace laughing about her day or my made up song. I miss their sweet smell and soft, dimpled hands.

So many times, on so many hectic days I've thought how nice it would be to have some time to myself. No fannies to wipe. Meals to make. Bedtime routines to complete.

This week I have it. But I'm ready for it to be over.

No comments: