Monday, December 3, 2007

Will I ever get it?

Have you ever been at your child's school and you see all the parents of the older kids? They seem like they know what they're doing. They've been here before. They know how to handle things. But the other day I had an epiphany about these people.

They don't know what they're doing as a parent any more than I do.

That's because, at least with your oldest child, every new thing is.... well, new. And with each new thing you have to figure out what to do, how to answer. So while I'm well equipped to deal with Lauren's on-the-floor temper tantrums, I'm totally unprepared to deal with Grace's crushing need to memorize her piano songs instantly so that she can impress her teacher.

And that's the irony of parenting. You never really get it all figured out.

This moment of realization has made me feel a whole lot better about the job I'm doing. It's like realizing that even the CEO of your company has to go poop. We all do it. And we all get through it. We may not always get it right, but no one else is either.

No comments: