Monday, August 10, 2009

I just wish I had been the only one.

I brought a circular saw as a gift to a wedding shower this weekend.

See, the bride and groom were registered at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but the closest one to where I live is nearly 40 minutes away. Had I been going that way anyway I would have happily stopped in, bought a mini food processor and been on my way. But I wasn't going that way. So I checked out their other registry, which was at Sears. And I decided on the circular saw.

Secretly I was delighted to break the ironclad femininity of wedding showers by bringing a large, noisy power tool as a gift. Showers are a wonderful tradition and I truly wish you could have one right around your 10th wedding anniversary. But I don't really like to go to them. Looking forward to being "the chick who brought the circular saw" was going to be my own personal entertainment, my little way of making the ritual and procedure of the shower more interesting.

My whole plan was working. Until someone else's gift turned out to be a miter box.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh no! haha. I'm sure you were at least one of the ONLY two "cool" guest. : )

Corie said...

you rock! I wish someone would've gotten me power tools for my wedding. I certainly use them more now than all the fancy dishes.